Seminaire: Information Theoretic Approaches to ad hoc Information Retrieval, VISEO R&D, Grenoble

Thierry Hamon thierry.hamon at UNIV-PARIS13.FR
Wed Oct 31 12:20:53 UTC 2012

Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 15:03:45 +0000
From: Cédric Lopez <clopez at objetdirect.com>

Research Seminar

Information theoretic approaches to ad hoc information
retrieval<http://www.viseo.net/en/news/information-theoretic-approaches-ad-hoc-information-retrieval>

by Eric Gaussier and Parantapa Goswami

28 November 2012, 12:00 - 13:00
VISEO R&D - Le Pulsar - 4 av du Doyen Louis Weil 38000 GRENOBLE
(http://www.viseo.net/en/viseo-research-and-development )

Abstract
Information retrieval (IR) has become highly popular through the daily
use of web search engines. Nowadays, the best performing models in ad
hoc IR are based on probabilistic approaches, following different
principles (ranking principle, language modeling or divergence from
randomness).  We provide in our presentation an introduction to a recent
family of probabilistic models solely based on information theoretic
principles, and show how such models relate to well-known properties of
text collections. We will also show how to use such models in different
settings, as cross-language information retrieval and query expansion.

Bio
ERIC GAUSSIER (http://mrim.imag.fr/eric.gaussier/) is Professor of
Computer Science at the Université Joseph Fourier (Grenoble I). He is
Deputy Director of the Laboratory of Informatics of Grenoble (LIG -
http://www.liglab.fr/?lang=en) and Head of the AMA
(http://www.liglab.fr/spip.php?article917&lang=en) team, working on
Machine Learning and Information Modeling. His research focuses on
probabilistic modeling of large document collections for information
access. He is particularly interested in multilingual, multimedia
collections, and applications as categorization, clustering and
information retrieval.

Message diffuse par la liste Langage Naturel <LN at cines.fr>
Informations, abonnement : http://www.atala.org/article.php3?id_article=48
English version       :
Archives                 : http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/ln.html
                                http://liste.cines.fr/info/ln

La liste LN est parrainee par l'ATALA (Association pour le Traitement
Automatique des Langues)
Information et adhesion  : http://www.atala.org/