Job: Post-doc researchers, EC-JRC, Call for Expressions of Interest

Thierry Hamon thierry.hamon at UNIV-PARIS13.FR
Fri Feb 22 20:17:37 UTC 2013

Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 15:03:01 +0100
From: Ralf Steinberger <ralf.steinberger at jrc.ec.europa.eu>

This is is a reminder to inform the members of this list that a call for
expressions of interest for contract agents (post-doc researchers) to
work at the European Commission's Joint Research Centre (JRC) is open
until the end of February. You find the text and information on the
application procedure at:

http://europa.eu/epso/apply/jobs/cast/2013/cast_jrc/index_en.htm

The call includes a very wide range of subject areas, covering also
computational linguistics.

DEADLINE: The call will close at 12:00 (CET) on 1 March 2013.

All necessary information can be found at that web page, but here are a
few explanatory words:

This is not an advertisement for a job opening! Instead, the profiles of
applicants who successfully pass this selection procedure will be
entered into a database of scientists that _can_ be hired to work at the
JRC for a fixed-term contract within a period of up to three years after
entering the database. The JRC can only fill positions of contractual
agents with persons whose profiles made it into the database.

NATIONALITY: The call is open for citizens of a Member State of the
European Union or of one of the associated countries to the 7th Research
Framework Programme (Albania, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Croatia, Faroe
Islands, Iceland, Israel, Liechtenstein, Montenegro, Norway, Republic of
Moldova, Switzerland, the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia and
Serbia, Turkey).

BACKGROUND ON OUR TEXT MINING WORK: The OPTIMA group at the Joint
Research Centre (JRC) in Ispra, Italy, develops complex, highly
multilingual (tens of languages) Language Technology applications
applied to online media, including both traditional and social
media. Our flagship product is the Europe Media Monitor (EMM)
(http://emm.newsbrief.eu/overview.html) family of applications, which
includes NewsExplorer (http://emm.newsexplorer.eu/) , NewsBrief
(http://emm.newsbrief.eu/) , the Medical Information System MedISys
(http://medisys.newsbrief.eu/) and EMM-Labs (http://emm-labs.jrc.it/)
and which processes a daily average of 175,000 news articles per day in
up to 73 languages. We have developed and we use a range of text mining
applications, including clustering and categorisation; information
extraction and disambiguation (persons, organisations, locations,
quotations; event scenario template filling); name variant matching;
topic detection and tracking, including across languages; co-reference
resolution; sentiment analysis/opinion mining; multi-document
summarisation; social network generation; statistical machine
translation.  We have also released various large-scale multilingual
linguistic resources (http://ipsc.jrc.ec.europa.eu/index.php?id=61) ,
including JRC-Acquis (http://ipsc.jrc.ec.europa.eu/index.php?id=198) ,
DGT-Translation Memory (http://ipsc.jrc.ec.europa.eu/index.php?id=197) ,
ECDC-Translation Memory (http://ipsc.jrc.ec.europa.eu/index.php?id=782),
DGT-Acquis (http://ipsc.jrc.ec.europa.eu/index.php?id=783) and the JRC
EuroVoc Indexer JEX (http://ipsc.jrc.ec.europa.eu/index.php?id=60) .

Ralf Steinberger (http://langtech.jrc.ec.europa.eu/RS.html) European
Commission - Joint Research Centre (JRC)
(http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/jrc/index.cfm) IPSC
(http://ipsc.jrc.ec.europa.eu/) - GlobeSec
(http://ipsc.jrc.ec.europa.eu/?id=40) - OPTIMA
(http://ipsc.jrc.ec.europa.eu/index.php/178/0/) (OPensource Text
Information Mining and Analysis) URL
(http://emm.newsbrief.eu/overview.html) - EMM Applications:
http://emm.newsbrief.eu/overview.html (Europe Media Monitor, EMM
(http://emm.newsbrief.eu/overview.html) ) URL
(http://ipsc.jrc.ec.europa.eu/?id=179) - OPTIMA web page:
http://ipsc.jrc.ec.europa.eu/?id=179 URL
(http://langtech.jrc.ec.europa.eu/JRC_Publications.html) - JRC-EMM
Publication list: http://langtech.jrc.ec.europa.eu/JRC_Publications.html
21027 Ispra (VA), Italy

Message diffuse par la liste Langage Naturel <LN at cines.fr>
Informations, abonnement : http://www.atala.org/article.php3?id_article=48
English version       :
Archives                 : http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/ln.html
                                http://liste.cines.fr/info/ln

La liste LN est parrainee par l'ATALA (Association pour le Traitement
Automatique des Langues)
Information et adhesion  : http://www.atala.org/