LL-L "Etymology" (was "Material culture") 2002.03.04 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 4 19:16:02 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 04.MAR.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Aviad Stier" <aviad2001 at hotmail.com>
Subject: material culture

Hello Everyone!
Jorge Potter wrote:

"Yoke" is also what is used to attached to the horns of a team of oxen
instead of pulling from a collar as with horse. This "yoke" is called
"yunta" in Spanish. We also call "yoke" the piece that looks like a
whiffletree and hangs from the collars of a team of horses to hold up
the tongue of whatever they are drawing and help steer it.

"Yoke" and "yunta" come form IE yeug to join, as does the Sanscrit
"yoga."

....and as do many more. The Latin "iugum" and its participle "iunctus"
fathered many English words, from conjugate to junction. The Romans used
make defeated rulers crawl under a "yoke" made of spears (sub iugum
mittere)
as a symbol of defeat, hence "subjugate". The Greek had "zygon" for
yoke,
which gave Mishnaic - and modern - Hebrew the word "zug" - pair. From
the
same IE root (yu-, yug-) we also got "justice" and "judge" - via the
Latin
and French, naturally.
Aviad Stier
Brussels

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

I do not want to encourage anyone to leave the Lowlands without bringing
relevant stuff back.  However, let me ask this quick question: why
Spanish _yugo_ for 'yoke' instead of expected *_jugo_ (Latin <iV...> >
Spanish <j...>)?  Might it be a Germanic (cf. Dutch _juk_) or Celtic
loan?

Romance:

Spanish ([j...] > [Z...]* > [x...]):
yugo 'yoke'