LL-L "Grammar" 2005.02.27 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Feb 28 00:56:28 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 27.FEB.2005 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From:  speegled at slu.edu <speegled at slu.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2005.02.25 (03) [E]

> Ben Bloomgren sends this msg. “Hello, all, I was wondering about the
> English concept of needing to do something. Do the other Lowlands
> languages have such a concept, or do they relegate themselves to things
> like "Must and ought?"

Hi all,

I have been lurking a few days and found this an intriguing question.
Since no one seems to be supplying the answers for Afrikaans, I will try.
Be warned that I am not a native speaker, so there could be some mistakes
here.

Afrikaans follows the Dutch pretty closely.  One can also say "Ek benodig
iets" in addition to "Ek het iets nodig" for "I need something".

My wife sometimes jokingly says "Ek benodig om te gaan" and it is always
understood.  I also found two instances of "Ek benodig om te weet" on
google, but it sounds nonstandard.

>  “Ik moet dat nodig doen” adds some urgency to the normal “Ik moet dat
> doen”
> which translates as “I have to do that”.

Strange that the above can't be said in Afrikaans, as far as I know.  One
can say "Ek moet dit dringend doen" or something.

Afrikaans also has the same construct "Ek moet dit doen" (I must do it),
but "Ek hoef nie dit te doen nie" (I don't have to do it).  Also strange
that Afrikaans allows "hoef" in positive sentences with "maar net",
like the Dutch.  "Jy hoef maar net te vra".

One also can't say "*Ek het te gaan" (I have to go.)  No one would even be
able to follow that, and I can't think of any way to phrase it like that.

Finally, someone asked what happened to "darf" in the lowlands languages
(Or at least, I think that's what was asked...)  In Afrikaans, "Ek durf
nie daaraan vat nie" would typically mean "I don't dare touch that".  It
is listed in the WAT (Woordeboek van die Afrikaanse Taal) as possible to
use "durf" as "may" or "can", and I won't argue with them.

Best Regards,
Darrin Speegle

----------

From:  R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Grammar

Hello, Darrin, and welcome to Lowlands-L and its speakers' corner!  It's
great to meet you and pleasing to see you help holding up the Afrikaans
flag.

Regards and best wishes,
Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Founder & Administrator, Lowlands-L