nepantla

David L. Frye dfrye at umich.edu
Mon Jan 17 18:51:49 UTC 2000

Mignolo may have gotten this idea from an article that Klor de Alva wrote,
lo these many years ago -- I think it was his contribution to _The Inca
and Aztec states, 1400-1800_ ("Spiritual conflict and accommodation in New
Spain: toward a typology of Aztec responses to Christianity"). Mignolo
cites some other things by Klor de Alva from the same period, and I am
sure he is familiar with this article. There is also poet Pat Mora's book,
_Nepantla: Essays from the Land in the Middle_ (1993). I'm sure neither of
them claim that the word was coined in the 16th c, but rather that it was
first used then to refer to the betwixt-and-betweenness of Nahuas dealing
with their conquered society.