Movie Boycott -Stereotyping Native People

XocoyoCopitzin at aol.com XocoyoCopitzin at aol.com
Sun Jan 23 21:22:01 UTC 2000

"Art is a lie that makes us realize the truth."  -- Pablo Picasso

I plan on seeing this film and will watch it with the same skepticism I have
watched other historically interpretive films such as "The Last Temptation of
Christ" or "The Messenger."  Being an art teacher and armchair film critic,
I'll have ample opportunity to speak with the children in my life about race
and representation in popular culture, not to mention their responsibility,
as art-makers, to make people think with art.

That's right.  Good art makes people think.  Spending my cash on a film that
may or may not cast entire races and practices in stereotypical light does
not equate with supporting the moral principles of the film or its makers.
Boycotts are ineffective because they avoid the issues rather then meet them
head-on.  If we are to be warriors of knowledge we need to know what books
and films (and websites!) our children are attracted to.  This includes even
really bad or misleading material.  I look forward to seeing El Dorado
precisely so I can post movie reviews to my non-Nahua related message forums,
and make it clear were steroetpyes and misconceptions persist (if any at all).

This film is not an obstacle.  It is an opportunity with far-reaching
potential.

Anyone who wishes for a little more infomation before deciding whether to see
this film may view the supporting website at http://www.roadtoeldorado.com or
view the short movie trailer at
http://www.enjoytheshow.com/trailerpark/0815yy.html

Alison King