Tlilli tlapalli

cristi at ix.netcom.com cristi at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jun 22 19:30:50 UTC 2001

I remember there was some discussion about this question, and
some very good points made.  I was just reading Leon-Portilla's
"Aztec Thought and Culture," and learning about Garabay's (sp?)
idea of defrasismos--two words that, when combined, mean quite
something else.  This apparently was a strong feature of Nahuatl.
(I ask those well-informed scholars among us to excuse my naive
remarks here...)

According to Garabay, "the black ink, the red ink" clearly meant
"wisdom."  Leon-Portilla sets out numerous examples of speeches
that contain this phrase, and its meaning seems quite consistent.
If the speaker wishes to include actual writing media, he always
seems to add that later.  The same principle applies to "precious
flower, precious gem," which means "beautiful."  I am even privately
wondering if "a face, a heart" means "a good character."

A big conjecture (leap of fantasy?):  black and red are easily the
best colors for making ink drawings/letters.  In the European
culture one sees the same thing.  And Chinese.  Other colors are
unreliable--fade, change, or otherwise deteriorate.  I am imagining
that the early writers (Tolteca, perhaps?) used predominately this
red and black ink.  Later Mexica, who equated Toltec with supreme
knowledge and art, may have come to refer to Toltec and/or Culhua
manuscripts in this way--or perhaps there were other colors which
simply faded away.  Meanwhile, as their arts developed,  they
came up with workable paints of other bright and permanent colors
(which persist to this day, although some have changed their hue).

Of course, it is only a guess.  We will never know, will we--since
the most valuable texts of all went up in flames.

Cristi