icnopilli / icnopilti

patrick thomas hajovsky pthajovs at midway.uchicago.edu
Fri May 18 15:12:57 UTC 2001

I'm not sure about using this word to imply merit--compassion is clear in
Molina's Vocabulario.  Merit is gained through other means besides
compassion; compassion, like empathy, implies an equality between
agent and patient.  Merit, on the other hand, involves judgement.  Check
out icnotlacayotl, Molina's entry for "horfandad o miseria," which seems
to be an abstraction of man's suffering in general rather than something
earned.

I think part of the problem is that the word may have had
different meanings in different areas: the entry for fate comes from
Tetelcingo, Morelos.  Molina does not give a similar meaning.  Instead,
the causative icnopiltia means "to stay an orphan."  Karttunen lists
Icnopilti as an irregular verb, from Simeon, taking only possessive
prefixes.  It seems thus to imply that one takes control of one's own
fate, as well as the individual and rather isolated quality of fate
itself.

Patrick
ixquich in pepetlaca xteocuitla