nahuatl.info for nahuatl info?

Michael Mccafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Sun Jan 5 18:12:06 UTC 2003

I'm always happy to see interest in Nahuatl. This site's overview of the
various Nahuatl dialects is very nice and informative.

But adding to Fran's rejoinder, I should add that there are a couple of
important mistakes at the website's homepage. The phrase "Nahuatl is an
ancient language spoken by our Mexica/Azteca, Tolteca, Olmeca..." is
incorrect. I'm surprised to find such a statement. Of the peoples listed
here only the Mexica and Azteca spoke Nahuatl.  Also, the phrase
"Hopi is almost identical to Nahuatl..." is a mistake. Hopi is indeed
related to Nahuatl but can hardly be termed "almost identical".

Best,
Michael McCafferty

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003 menchaca at stsci.edu wrote:

> I came upon this site recently and thought it might be of interest
> to members of the list.
> -g
>
> nahuatl.info
>
> for general information
> http://nahuatl.info/nahuatl.htm
>
> "The Nahuatl Tlahtokalli at nahuatl.info is an online Nahuatl language learning
> center initiated by graduate-level students Citlalin Xochime (Star Blossoms)
> & Itztli Ehecatl (Obsidian Wind). This project began in the xiuitl (year)
> Yei-Tochtli (3 rabbit), in the metztli (month) of Teotleko (when the energy
> is united) of the Mexica calendar, a time also known as October 2002
> according to the Julian calendar. We simply wanted a place to facilitate
> our understanding of Nahuatl culture while developing fluency of the language
> to such a degree that we may comfortably visit Nahuatl speaking villages.
> To attain these goals, we reserved an entire domain with 250 MB of storage
> for maintaining an interactive message board, scheduled weekly classes in
> our chat room, review sessions, quizzes, and sound clips of Nahuatl speakers."

Michael McCafferty
307 Memorial Hall
Indiana University
Bloomington, Indiana
47405
mmccaffe at indiana.edu

"When you eventually see through the veils to how things really are, you
will keep saying again and again, "This is certainly not like we thought
it was".

--Rumi