FW: nahuatl.info for nahuatl info?

mary l. clayton clayton at indiana.edu
Sat Jan 11 22:49:09 UTC 2003

Dear Scott,
     Let me assure you that you misunderstand.
     When Joe and I (I'm Joe Campbell's wife, also "into" Nahuatl, though
I don't know nearly what he does) first saw Ricardo Salvador's message, we
both said "Wow, look at how much time and effort he put into that!"
     Up to this point, I think many people on Nahuat-l have had the same
impression about the exchanges concerning Citlalin Xochime's website that
I have had: namely, that this is the internet at its best. People who
never would have come upon each other in the real world have a common
interest and meet in cyberspace. Those who are eager for knowledge are
able to get it from those who are eager to share what they love. (and in
many cases, the exchange is mutual. The same people can both teach and
learn.)
     I think that a number of people on Nahuat-l were impressed with
the diligence and earnestness exhibited by your teachers and therefore
were willing to take the time to offer their help. I was impressed with
both the graciousness of Ricardo's message and the graciousness with which
Citlalin Xochime received it. No one is "throwing stones"; no one is
"browbeating".  Professors work for a living and have many demands on
their time. They are almost *always* willing to help those who seriously
want to learn. But they certainly don't see any sport in criticizing
amateurs. Why would we?
    Over the years, there has been a small number of bothersome people on
Nahuat-l who complain about everyone, have political views that become
obtrusive, or whatever. For that, we have the Delete key. No time for
criticism.  Criticism -- and you should understand that this is
CONSTRUCTIVE criticism -- is a both a favor and a compliment. It says "I
take you seriously. Therefore I am willing to help you."
     In my opinion, Citlalin Xochime has shown one of the traits of a true
scholar (or for that matter, a good basketball player or musician): she
can say "ok, I have things to learn and I am anxious to learn them, so I
accept your help".
     You get to decide whether you want to be like her or whether you will
simply fall victim to the delete key.

     Mary