kwihlo:tl and a:kapilo:lhi

Jonathan Amith jonathan.amith at YALE.EDU
Wed Nov 26 21:05:04 UTC 2003

In my notes from Ameyaltepec and Oapan, Guerrero, I have the following
entries, the spelling is different from Tetelcingo in the /hl/
sequence, underlyingly {ll}. Three relevant defintions:

kwihlo:tl (Ameyaltepec and Oapan)
1 : wattle: the rods made of tlapextli that are laid down horizontally
in the frame of the roof of a thatched house and to which the
thatching (palm or grass) is attached. The kwihlo:tl are placed on the
inside of the house, attached to the a:kapilo:hli , before the
thatching process begins. Once the thatching process begins, these
same types of rods are laid on the outside part of the roof, on top of
the thatching to hold it in place.
ROOTS: kwi

a:kapilo:hli (Ameyaltepec and Oapan)
1 (Am/Oa) : light beams that form part of a house; these run from the
caballete down to the kontrasole:rah Am / tlaxipacholo:ni
ROOT(S):  a:ka, pil
Semantic notes: The a:kapilo:hli , part of a thatched roof house (of
grass, sakatl , or palm, so:ya:tl ), are thin rods of wood that
descend vertically along the roof of the house from the caballete to
the solera . They are distinct, however, from the cabezas . The
a:kapilo:hli along with the kwihlo:tl form the major part of the house
frame.

tlapextli (Ameyaltepec and Oapan)
1 : bed (originally those made of the rods from the inside of the
cactus known also as รณ:rganoh para tlapextli but now extended to
include all beds)  2 : Pachycereus militaris (Andat) D. R. Hunt, a
type of cactus (to:motli ) the insides rods of which are stripped and
cleaned to be used for various items, including beds  -- Xne:xte:kili
notlapech para nokal! | Cut down atlapextli cactus for my house (so
that the rods can be used for the roof of my house)! 3 : (i:tlake:nyo
~) bed sheet(s)

Jonathan D. Amith
Dept. of Sociology and Anthropology
Gettysburg College