tlahueliloc

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at INDIANA.EDU
Thu Jul 1 20:42:00 UTC 2004

Rick,

There is no evidence for any relationship between ahhuel /a?wel/ and
tlahue:l- /tlawe:l-/. Note for example the lack of a glottal stop in
tlahue:l- (i.e., it's not */tlahwe:l-/ but /tlawe:l/. Hence there is no term
for "not" (i.e., ah- ) in tlahue:l-. And, as I mentioned yesterday or the
day before, the vowel length is a cause for suspicion in assuming some sort
of identicality between these terms, i.e., -hue:l- cannot be -huel-.

I don't know if it's any help, but maybe it would be useful to think of,
say, "sun" and "son" in English. Now, the analogy is not perfect, since in
fact the two English terms are identical in pronunciation (no messy vowel
length or glottal stop discrepancies to worry about), but are not related
otherwise. They're just homophonous. In the evolution of a language,
sometimes items fall together, or nearly so, haphazardly. In Potawatomi in
the 1800s the third-person singular conjunct verb ending came to resemble a
common locative suffix ending (something like but not exactly like Nahuatl
postpositions). This sort of phenomenon can cause brief moments of
unintelligiblity.

Best,

Michael