ineua & how-to-cite

Frances Karttunen karttu at NANTUCKET.NET
Sat Jul 3 20:05:18 UTC 2004

Concerning "inehu(a)":

> Generally, the "in" part of the phrase is translated as "the" or sometimes not
> translated at all, according to the same dictionary.  I believe its a sort of
> reference marker indicating that an action refers to or somehow makes use of
> the object.

But in this case the "in" is part of the verb stem.  Have a look at Molina's
entry.  He devices the first-person present tense into "ineua.niqu," and he
gives the first-person preterite as "oniquineuh."

That is: o:- (antecessive prefix) ni- (first-person singular subject prefix)
qu- (third-person singular object prefix) ineuh (preterite stem.

> And if it's in Karttunen's Dictionary, where is it? because I didn't find it.

It's not in An Analytical Dictionary of Nahuatl because it's not attested in
sources that indicate long vowels and glottal stops. There's no way to tell
if it's ihnehu(a) or i:nehu(a) or ine:hu(a), etc.

> Is its root eua?

Not likely. It doesn't at all appear that the "in" can be detached from the
stem.

> And what is the sense that connects its two meanings "dar un mal golpe"
> (miss a blow) and "estar poseĆ­do por el demonio" (Be possessed by the devil).

What is the source of the second gloss?