yneyxcahuiltlamachiliztzin

José Rabasa jrabasa at SOCRATES.BERKELEY.EDU
Fri Jul 9 21:27:43 UTC 2004

I am working with Chimalpahin's Diario and could benefit from
insights on the followin passage:

"ca amono huel yxcoyantzinco yneyxcahuiltlamachiliztzin" (228)

Rafael Tena translates as "no se trata de enseñanza propia," which I
guess captures the sense but I am struggling with the morphology of
"yneyxcahuiltlamachiliztzin."

I have identified i:ne:ixcauia:li:tla:machilia:liz:tzin

For tlamachiliztli Karttunen gives "wisdom"

Molina has tlamachilia (nite) "arbitrar, juzgar entre partes o saber
y entender lo que otro esta pensando, o alcanzar saber algun secreto"

Molina gives various possibilities of "solo" for ixcauia. He also has
ixcauilaxca as "cosa propia mia." But I cannot make sense of the
whole.

I have the feeling that this word says more than Tena's laconic "enseñanza."

Thanks,

Jose