Re:       Re: Opinions Solicited

Amapohuani at AOL.COM Amapohuani at AOL.COM
Thu Jul 29 23:49:00 UTC 2004

Galen and Mark:

I think Galen has made some good points. To give one instance out of many why
retaining original distinctive features is critical: in volume one of NAHUATL
THEATER I was faced with the difficulty of showing why I felt that THE THREE
KINGS was in a different hand than SOULS AND TESTAMENTARY EXECUTORS and THE
SACRIFICE OF ISAAC. In other words, why even though the three are bound together
as mone manuscript at U of Michigan's Clements Library, they should not
automatically be lumped together. After all, trying to compare and contrast hands
is a very debatable process. Once a reliable transcription of the three plays
was made (essentially Louise and I running through the text and transcriptions
space by space, character by charcter a full three or four times) something
became very obvious: there were orthographic peculiarities (or however either of
you might want to characterize them) that were found only in SOULS and
SACRIFICE but not in 3KINGS, and vice versa. These key distinctions would have been
lost in a regularized/standardized version. Hence the value of trying as much
as is possible to show those distinctions, peculiarities and 'errors' (under
all the human and technical limitations we could enumerate) is, to my way of
working and thinking, valuable and at times critical. Plus it helps (doesn't
completely solve by any means) to show where one is taking one interpretative
road and not another.

Nonetheless I am very grateful for those scholars who take the Nahuatl much
further away from the originals. Ideally one would have the opportunity to do
what Andrews did in the Ruiz de Alarcon book, showing both the original
orthography and his version. Of course, here again interpretation, reinterpretation,
and errors in same are always lurking in the shadows. But there are so many
practical restraints also that go far beyond scholarly considerations. Oh how I
wish that the publisher of NAHUATL THEATER would suggest putting out an
additional volume with clear photoreproductions of all the dramatic texts! I
wouldn't hold my breath waiting, though.....

You both have made good points, so my hat is off to you both.

Ye ixquich.
Barry