double auxiliary verb

idiez at MAC.COM idiez at MAC.COM
Wed Mar 24 04:12:40 UTC 2004

Here's something I had never seen before: a double auxiliary verb. It's
from Veracruz.
"quimontontinentoqueh tlalli", "they have gone around piling up dirt"
You start with the Spanish "[a]montonar", "to pile things up",  and add
the specific object prefix "-qui", and then the auxiliary verb "nemi"
with the ligature, "-ti". This gives you, "they go around piling up
dirt ("tlalli"). Then you put that whole thing in its combining form by
chopping off the last vowel of nemi: "quimontontinen-", and add the
second auxiliary verb "oc" (a preterite as present tense verb) with
another ligature "-t[i]", meaning to have done something. It is
conjugated in the third person plural.

I also want to say that our website has been down for about two weeks
now, and nobody can figure out how to get it back up. An alternate
address in the meantime is http://homepage.mac.com/idiez/idiezweb

John Sullivan, Ph.D.
Profesor de lengua y cultura nahua
Unidad Académica de Idiomas
Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas
Director
Instituto de Docencia e Investigación Etnológica de Zacatecas, A.C.
Francisco García Salinas 604
Colonia CNOP
Zacatecas, Zac. 98053
México
Oficina: +52 (492) 768-6048
Celular (desde México): 044 (492) 544-5985
Celular (desde el extranjero) +52 (492) 544-5985
idiez at mac.com
www.idiez.org.mx