native speaker in Oklahoma

zorrah at ATT.NET zorrah at ATT.NET
Fri Nov 4 11:06:38 UTC 2005

panolti,
It may be worthwhile to contact Gerardo Tristan Alvarado.  I don't know him--but I know of him.  Here's an email contact and brief bio that I got online:

Instructors of Spanish
Gerardo Tristan Alvarado
gera at ou.edu
http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/L/A-Robert.R.Lauer-1/SPANISHSECTION.html

Gerardo Tristan Alvarado is Nahuatl (Aztec) Indian and considers himself to be a part of the Nahuatl diaspora. He was born and raised in Monterrey, Mexico and has participated with a folkloric dance group in Monterrey for three years, performing mainly Mexican Traditional dances. Also, he has presented dance improvisation on several occasions in downtown Mexico City with a local dance group. He has also taught Latin dance rhythms (Cumbia, Salsa, Merengue, Bachata and others) in Europe (Denmark and Germany) between 1996 and 1997. He has participated in two shows in Canada, the first one at the University of Lethbridge in 2001.  At this show, Gerardo performed a traditional Javanese dance mixed with Buddhist meditative practices, and a contemporary dance piece that incorporated improvisational dance and electronically generated music.  The second show was for Lathbridge’s International Dance Day in April of 2002. There he performed a longer version of the same piece being performed for Red Rhythms, called "Transformations". He is currently living in Oklahoma and is a proud member of the New Tallahasse (Tallahasse Wvgogee) ceremonial grounds in Eastern Oklahoma.
http://ideasandsociety.ucr.edu/redrhythms/alvarado.htm

Citlalin Xochime
Teaching Associate
English Department