macehualli.org

John Sullivan, Ph.D. idiez at mac.com
Fri Sep 15 20:05:50 UTC 2006

Listeros,
	I happy to announce that the webpage for Macehualli Educational
Research, our US non-profit corporation, is up and running: http://
www.macehualli.org. Under the "teaching" section, there is a
description of the courses we offer through the Universidad Autónoma
de Zacatecas and the Instituto de Docencia e Investigación Etnológica
de Zacatecas (IDIEZ), including next Summer's "Intensive course in
Older and Modern Nahuatl for non-native speakers".
	Under the "research" section, you can view portions of our following
works-in-progress:
1. monolingual dictionary of Modern Huastecan Nahuatl,
2. monolingual grammar of Modern Huastecan Nahuatl,
3. digitalization of Molina's dictionaries,
4. and soon, a translation into Modern Huastecan Nahuatl of book 12
of the Florentine Codex.
	In concluding, I would like to ask for support in the form of tax-
deductible donations to Macehualli Educational Research. I set up
this non-profit for the purpose of financing the work we are doing in
Zacatecas. What exactly do we do? We give scholarships to indigenous
college students (Nahua and Wixarika, so far) at the Universidad
Autónoma de Zacatecas, and they spend between an hour and two hours a
day studying their own culture (both older and modern) in their own
language, and preparing monolingual educational materials such as the
ones you can now see on our website.  A Mexican university (as are
most universities around the world) is a machine of cultural
reduction: you may only think and write critically and creatively in
one language. We are trying to turn the Universidad Autónoma de
Zacatecas into a place where indigenous students can become
professionals in the dominant culture, and at the same, grow in their
own culture and language, and promote the extension of its use in
urban society.
John

John Sullivan, Ph.D.
Profesor de lengua y cultura nahua
Unidad Académica de Idiomas
Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas
Director
Instituto de Docencia e Investigación Etnológica de Zacatecas, A.C.
Tacuba 152, int. 47
Centro Histórico
Zacatecas, Zac. 98000
México