N áhuatl mandatory in public scho ols in Mexico City

Kier Salmon k_salmon at ipinc.net
Sat Aug 18 18:19:56 UTC 2007

Having grow up in Mexico and been in Mexican public schools, I
shudder to think about the logistics of the problem.  The teachers
would be one step ahead of the students all the way.
I was fully spanish/english bilingual and two of my Secundaria
teachers were ok with letting me read in class and letting them get
on with trying to pound the language (very inexpertly) into my
classmates heads... one decided my brother and I had to perform all
the tasks she gave the class; I still remember the day she said,
"Mouse; mice, blouse...   "  That one stalemated in La Directora's
office.  Now think of the difference linguistically between spanish
and nahuatl as opposed to spanish and english (both indo-european
based if broadly seperated.).
One thing I think we will see, however is a much larger support from
the population for learning nahuatl.  English and french and german
were very resented as signs of Mexico's subordination on the
international scene and all my classmates gladly forgot every bit
they learned as fast as possible.  There is hope that this would not
be the feeling about nahuatl; for the past 20 years "hablar indio"
has been much less pejorative than it was in my growing up years.