N áhuatl mandatory in public schools i n Mexico City

Maria Bolivar mbolivar at san.rr.com
Sun Aug 19 19:59:52 UTC 2007

Marcos, I agree the Pan stinks. I have no hopes for anything they either do
or not do. It is the left I criticize for disappointing those they claim to
represent.

As for the decree on Náhuatl, it is the work of Marcelo Ebrard, the governor
of Mexico City (PRD). It is interesting how the school system works in
Mexico. It used to be a Federal System, until it was decreed that each state
should manage its own resources. And it happened with the DF being the last
to be due for decentralization. That was one of the main quarrels between
Lopez and Fox (Zorro). Because of the numbers, DF Government would absorb
suddenly a big, big problem, coupled with a big, big subsidy, Fox attempted
to curtail. El subsidio educativo para el DF ascendía a 18 000 millones de
pesos en el año de la descentralización.

Maria Bolivar