Fwd: Re: Chicago's Field Museum

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Wed Dec 31 15:49:06 UTC 2008

Quoting "Robert A. Neinast" <neinast at att.net>:

>> It's like that in some dialects, so it's not a great offense.
>
> Don't forget, this exhibit was "The Aztec World," not
> "The Modern Nahuatl Dialects World."

Naturally, an exhibit of this caliber should have -tl instead of -t.
That's agreed.

> Or were there dialects 500 years ago that did this?

Yes. In fact, the sound written -tl derives from a proto-Uto-Aztecan
/*t/ following /a/. It's not unreasonable to assume that some ancient
dialects did not take that /*t/ to the sound written -tl. I don't
believe the necessary evidence exists to corroborate that notion,
however.

Michael