Chicago's Field Museum

ANTHONY APPLEYARD a.appleyard at btinternet.com
Wed Dec 31 22:31:57 UTC 2008

Likely the big temptation is to pronounce final -tl with the L as a vowel as in "battle". Likely most amphibianologists' pronunciation of "axolotl" is far from the mark. (I once saw a poem in English rhyming "Popocatepetl" with "kettle",)

I once advised: to say "teuctli", start with "tecuatli" and then gradually lose the "a" without letting any other sounds change.

(I had a similar problem during a scuba diving holiday in the Red Sea, teaching some English-speakers to say the Arabic word 'afwan = "thanks accepted" that starts with a glottal stop and then a stressed vowel.)

Citlalyani