QUERY: Mestlapiques

David Wright dcwright at prodigy.net.mx
Sat May 31 03:11:19 UTC 2008

Kevin:

The first place I usually look for "aztequismos" is Francisco J.
Santamaria's *Diccionario de mejicanismos* (5a ed., Mexico City, Editorial
Porrua, 1992 [1st. ed. 1959]).

On page 719 is this entry:

"Mestlapique. (Del azt. *mich-tlapic*: de *michin*, pescado, y *tlapic*,
envuelto.) m. Tamalito compuesto de un pescadito especial, entero, envuelto
en hoja de maíz, asado que se vende en los mercados.
     "'La suciedad y pestilencia eran más notables en los puestos de frutas,
*mestlapiques*, ranas, ajolotes, etcetera, y montalayos, tripa gorda,
pancita, carnitas y otras carnes indecentes y medio podridas'. (PRIETO,
*Memorias*, II p. 69.)"

The reference is to Guillermo Prieto, *Memorias de mis tiempos*, Mexico
City, 1906.

*Mich(in)*, of course, is fish, and our dear friend Alonso de Molina, on f.
132r of the second section of his *Vocabulario*, confirms Santamaria's gloss
of *Tlapic*:

"Tlapictli. hechura, o criatura, o cosa criada, fingida, o cosa embuelta en
hojas de mayz, assi como tamalli. &c. o almario hecho en lo hueco d la
pared."

The question is whether *mestlapique* really derives from *mich* + *tlapic*.

In San Nicolás, Ixmiquilpan, Hidalgo, I've eaten delicious tamales with
*charales* or tiny fish (in this case from the nearby Presa Golondrinas,
next to Alfajayucan), packed in aromatic herbs, with no corn, cooked on the
comal rather than the usual steaming in the *olla tamalera*. What made them
"tamales" was the fact that they were cooked in corn leaves. Nobody there
called them *mestlapiques*; Santamaria's entry just reminded me of the
experience.

Saludos,

David