-h for saltillo

Frances Karttunen karttu at nantucket.net
Sun Jan 17 13:53:36 UTC 2010

There is precedent for using orthographic -h for saltillo from the
16th-century, although it was not used systematically.  The
convention was adopted by J. Richard Andrews, who does use it
systematically, and I carried it on in An Analytical Dictionary of
Nahuatl.

My preference for -h was/is two-fold.  First, I wanted to avoid
proliferation of conventions and for the dictionary to be compatible
with the Andrews grammar.

Second, what we call "saltillo" functions as a consonant in Nahuatl,
no matter whether its phonetic realization is a glottal stop (in some
central dialects) or as an aspiration that would be represented as
phonetic [h] (not to be confused with Spanish orthographic -h, which--
thanks to historical sound change--has no phonetic realization at all).

When an accent mark over a vowel is used to indicate that that vowel
is followed by saltillo, it implies that saltillo is a quality of the
vowel rather than a consonant following the vowel.  It is true that
the saltillo does affect the quality of the preceding vowel, but from
the point of view of the systematic phonology of Nahuatl, it is
crucial to understand that syllables that end in saltillo function
like syllables that end in the other consonants of Nahuatl and not
like open syllables.

Understanding and accepting the phonological contrast of open and
closed syllables (and hence, stems that end in vowels versus stems
that end in consonants) makes sense of Nahuatl morphology, which
otherwise has the appearance of being dauntingly arbitrary.

Frances Karttunen