Tunas and purslane

David Wright dcwright at prodigy.net.mx
Thu Nov 3 02:18:28 UTC 2011

Estimados listeros:

Has anyone seen the word tenochtli associated with a specific species of
Opuntia in colonial or modern texts? (Other than the IB-UNAM edition of
Francisco Hernández’s botanical treatise, that is.)

How about colonial or modern Nahuatl words for purslane (verdolaga,
Portulaca oleracea)? I have Sahagún’s itzmiquilitl (book 11, chapter 7,
paragraph 3, folio 287r), which probably refers to this species (the
association of the drawing and the gloss on f. 286r are probably in error,
considering the descriptions in Spanish and Nahuatl). I also found itzmitl
for “verdolaga” in Matías and Medina’s dictionary of the modern Nahuatl
variety spoken in Acatlán.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Saludos,

David