Tunas and purslane

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Fri Nov 4 15:36:03 UTC 2011

Quoting David Wright <dcwright at prodigy.net.mx>:

> Estimados listeros:
>

> Has anyone seen the word tenochtli associated with a specific species of
> Opuntia in colonial or modern texts? (Other than the IB-UNAM edition of
> Francisco Hernández’s botanical treatise, that is.)

This is an interesting question, David. I wonder if, since Opuntiae
look so much alike, there were species-specific qualifiers. (There is
an opuntia that grows natively in Indiana. It's almost unbelievable.)

> How about colonial or modern Nahuatl words for purslane (verdolaga,
> Portulaca oleracea)? I have Sahagún’s itzmiquilitl (book 11, chapter 7,
> paragraph 3, folio 287r), which probably refers to this species (the
> association of the drawing and the gloss on f. 286r are probably in error,
> considering the descriptions in Spanish and Nahuatl). I also found itzmitl
> for “verdolaga” in Matías and Medina’s dictionary of the modern Nahuatl
> variety spoken in Acatlán.

I wonder why purslane is called itzmiquilitl. Did it evoke the image of
an arrow with an obsidian point.