Tunas and purslane

David Wright dcwright at prodigy.net.mx
Sat Nov 5 17:04:17 UTC 2011

Estimado Jonathan:

Thanks. This is all very useful.

Just last week I was talking Nahuatl etymology and botany over coffee with
Alejandro de Ávila in Puebla, at the annual Otopames conference. In fact,
his suggestion that you would have useful information on this topic was my
initial motivation to post my questions regarding tunas and purslane to this
list. He sent me a link to the order form for the Paper Museum volume and
it’s on my desk as I write. The publishers are selling it for $196 USD, so
I’m still thinking about it, but now that I’ve acquired a deeper awareness
of the importance of biology in iconographical and toponymical studies, and
having read your comments on the studies included in this volume, I probably
won’t be able to hold out much longer.

I noticed that Francisco Hernández also has “tetzmitl” (buried in his
description of tzonpachtli, book 1, chapter 161) and “aytzmitl” (twice: book
3, chapters 67 and 211). Your suggestion that this may be a semantic
contrast is duly noted, and tips the scale in my head in favor of te(tl)
rather than te:-. The fact that Molina also registers “tetzmitl” and that
the loss of the i: of i:tz(tli) doesn’t fit the usual pattern still sets off
a flashing red light, but there have been other times when Nahuatl doesn’t
seem to fit into our grammatical and morphophonological expectations.

I’m sorry about having slipped colons into the Acatlán word “itzmitl”. My
head was in automatic long-vowel restoration mode, and I was assuming that
the roots were i:tz(tli) + mi:tl. My only source is the *Vocabulario
náhuatl-español de Acatlán, Guerrero* by Marcos Matías Alonso and
Constantino Medina Lima (2nd. ed., CIESAS/Plaza y Valdés, 1996), and vowel
contrast is not marked. I just checked my main long-vowel-marking
dictionaries. Karttunen gives i:tztli, Bierhorst itztli, and Wolf both
i:tztli and itztli, so the i in this noun doesn’t appear to be long across
the board. It’s always long in mi:tl, though.

So tekono:xtli is just teono:xtli with an extra /k/. I never would have
guessed that.

I think you’re right about the botanical difference between teo:no:chtli and
teno:chtli. The 16th century sources make it clear that the former is an
organ pipe cactus (Pachycereus sp.) and the latter is a prickly pear
(Opuntia sp.) (see the Florentine Codex [book 11, chapter 7, paragraph 12],
Francisco Hernández’s botanical treatise [book 6, chapters 108, 110], the
Codex Cruz-Badiano [f. 17v], and the toponymical signs in the pictorial
sources, e.g. Codex Mendoza: “Tenochtitlan” [ff. 2r, 4v, 19r] vs.
“Teonochtitlan” [f. 42r]). Several authors have confused the two (e.g. Laura
White Olascoaga and Carmen Zepeda Gómez, *El paraíso botánico del convento
de Malinalco, estado de México* [Toluca, UAEM, 2005], where the organ pipe
cactus is unfortunately depicted and described under the heading
“Tenochtli”). In Nahua plant taxonomy the “generic” part of the word,
no:chtli, refers to cactus fruit, in contrast to modern botanical taxonomy,
where the morphology of the plant as a whole determines the genus. This
important distinction has confused a lot of people.

Thanks again for your invaluable input, which will be cited in my paper (now
over six weeks past deadline, thanks to my new interest in botany), using
the Nahuat-l Archives site as a reference.

Saludos desde Guanajuato,

David