hua:c

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Fri Nov 11 17:47:41 UTC 2011

Hold the horses!

My first observation would be that perhaps modern H.N. "huac-" and your
friends "kwak" could be *reductions* of original ihcuac, not the
original forms to which an "ih-" was detached. I'm not sure ihcuac can
be reduced.

A reduction that somewhat resembles this in Miami-Illinois, an
Algonquian language, involves an initial short vowel, like our /i-/ in
ihcuac, preceding an preaspirated consonant, somewhat like our /-hkw-/
in ihcuac. In such a case, the initial vowel (and preaspiration
indicated by /h/) drop off, e.g.,
ahpwaakana 'pipe' --> pwaakana.

Michael