Mezquite

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Wed Nov 30 23:04:37 UTC 2011

Nahuatl mizquitl is regular in the way it was borrowed into Spanish
with final -ite ending.

Seems to me that mizquitl has nothing to do with me:tzli, because of
the vowel length discrepancy between /i/ and /e:/.

I haven't checked Joe, but mizqu(i)- seems to be a morpheme all of its
own...unless this is mi:ztli + quilitl, and the quilitl has been
shortened. (The Proto-Algonquian term for 'dogwood tree' translates to
'cat wood'.)

Michael