Tunas and purslane

Jonathan Amith jdanahuatl at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 22:41:15 UTC 2011

Hi David,

The reference to obsidian is for itzmiquilitl "Del itzmiquilitl o verdura
parecida a las puntas de itztli de las flechas." There are 7 varieties
given all said to be "siemprevivas".  Whether the itsmi- here is different
than the roots in tetsmitl/a:itsmitl... who knows? But the drawing is
definitely different than a verdolaga (Hernandez, Libro 11 Cap. XLVIII).
They are all called siempreviva, which is often a term for Sedum spp. (one
could look into 16th century Spanish terminology). In the comentaries to
Hernandez this is suggested to be aTalinum, a genus that used to be in the
same family as verdolaga. The commentaries seem to be missing in the
published version for the plants on II:13, i.e., the seven types of
itzmiquilitl.

The blades of the Portulaca oleraceae don't look much like obsidian blades
to me!