Fwd: Nahuatl word classes

Jonathan Amith jdanahuatl at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 06:16:34 UTC 2013

Hi listeros,

I am on a computer in a cybercafe with a bad keyboard, so this might be
shorter than otherwise. In my experience there are many nominal ¨forms¨
that do not function as prototypical nouns (arguments) but rather are
limited to a predicate position. Think of "ablaze" in English and the
limits to its syntactic function.

For Launey, if I understand his omnipredicativity argument, everything
(except a few things like vocatives, eg.) are predicates so I am not sure
how he would distinguish kwalli, tlapa:ktli, etc. from other nouns. But my
experience is that these are only predicates and hence the difference. Many
speakers consider tlapa:ktli as an adjective if asked, but this is because
of its syntactic limitations. However, one wants to resolve the problem
there are differences in the syntactic functions of different nouns and one
solution might be to divide them on a type of squish in Ross´s terminology,
again if I remember correctly.

Similar problems exist with "adjectives" and "adverbs" and one solution is
to look at predicate modifiers as a class. Cf. yo:li:k, chika:wak, etc. for
which I am not quite sure what the best part of speech solution would be,
but whatever one chooses it should be noted that the modification can often
be of nouns or verbs, etc.

best, jonathan