Nahuatl word classes

Katarzyna Mikulska kasiamikulska at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 3 22:23:33 UTC 2013

Piyali John huan nochin listeros,
I would suggest not to use the category of "letter", but instead sth like "phoneme" or any other category which refer to the sounds of the linguistic system itself. "Letter" is just a graphic form, from other system (even if it is supposed to reflect a phoneme), and it is a question of graphic convention  if we write the sound /k/ as "c", "qu" or "k". Consequently, in Nahuatl I think it shouldn't be named on base of icuiloa, but on sth based on "sound".
Best regards from Warsaw and happy 2013, Kasia
(Katarzyna Mikulska)