temo, temoa

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Sat Jan 19 00:08:09 UTC 2013

Of course, nitemohua, as far as I know, would be, at least in the
classical language, ungrammatical. But, as you know, John, -oa is often
written for -ohua.

Interesting. Always a surprise.

We just discovered over the last twenty-four hours that a
pan-Algonquian verb root for 'trade, buy' got lost in the Algonquian
language Miami-Illinois and then was brought back by *French* traders
who had learned the verb root from other Algonquian-speaking groups,
and then Miami-Illinoized to look just like it would have looked before
it was lost.

Michael