name for a lime kiln

John Sullivan idiez at me.com
Sun Mar 17 20:40:00 UTC 2013

Piyali notequixpoyohuan,
	I think the word xihuitl is being shortened to xiuhtl (two final consonants are possible is some variants). Then, when this is joined in speech with the following word, itempan (devoiced final n), the final consonanant of xiuhtl, the "tl" forms a new syllable with the "i" of itempan. Now it gets tricky. The devoiced "uh" of xiuhtl weekens the following "tl" turning it into a devoiced "l". This kind of thing happens in my variant, Modern Huastecan, so I recognized it (if indeed this is what is happening). So anyway, you can probably write it "xiuhtl itempan", understanding that the phrase is pronounced as single phonetic unit.
John