Fwd: [RNLD] changes to Indigenous Languages Support Program announced

Ruth Singer ruth.singer at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 03:55:39 UTC 2015

Hi guys,

I am interested in applying for funding for a new language centre so I'm
gong to email and ask about it. Will let you know what they say,

Cheers,

Ruth

On 1 April 2015 at 14:22, Rosie Sitorus <linguist1 at irrawangga.org.au> wrote:

> Can I ask – is it clear to anyone whether 'direct offers' will be used
> from this year onwards, or whether they will be used for the 2015/2016 FY
> and then return to the application process from the 2016/2017 FY?
>
> Rosie
> --
> Rosie Sitorus
>
> *linguist1 at irrawangga.org.au <linguist1 at irrawangga.org.au>*
>
> From: Peter Austin <pa2 at soas.ac.uk>
> Date: Wednesday, 1 April 2015 11:08 AM
> To: Felicity Meakins <f.meakins at uq.edu.au>
> Cc: RNLD list <r-n-l-d at unimelb.edu.au>
>
> Subject: Re: [RNLD] changes to Indigenous Languages Support Program
> announced
>
> Felicity
>
> That's how I read it too -- 'money for them who got money in 2014-15 and
> who have "behaved properly" and will follow the Dept-defined "Framework"'
> was my reading of the statements on the web. Maybe the promised
> "application process" to be advertised in future will open the door to
> others?
>
> (Thanks, Andrew and John for your comments too.)
>
> Peter
>
> On 1 April 2015 at 11:03, Felicity Meakins <f.meakins at uq.edu.au> wrote:
>
>> I agree – this is extremely disappointing and effectively putting an end
>> to the largest source of government funding for new language centres and
>> one-off community-centred language projects.
>>
>> From: Andrew Cunningham <lang.support at gmail.com>
>> Date: Wednesday, 1 April 2015 12:57 pm
>> To: Peter Austin <pa2 at soas.ac.uk>
>> Cc: Margaret Florey <mflorey at rnld.org>, RNLD list <r-n-l-d at unimelb.edu.au
>> >
>> Subject: Re: [RNLD] changes to Indigenous Languages Support Program
>> announced
>>
>> Also interesting to note that offers will be tragetted, ie they will
>> decide who they want to engage in and give grants to, and they have closed
>> the door on any funding to new language programs
>>

>> Andrew
>>
>> On 1 April 2015 at 13:45, Peter Austin <pa2 at soas.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Margaret
>>>
>>> Thanks for sending around this information -- it is very interesting to
>>> see, and try to understand from afar, the new approach being adopted.
>>>
>>> One change that seems to be significant, at least from my position of
>>> ignorance outside Australia, is the following:
>>>
>>> "The Ministry for the Arts is developing a Framework to guide the
>>> planning, implementation and review of language projects funded through
>>> Indigenous Languages and Arts (Languages). The Framework aims to assist
>>> Indigenous communities to make more informed decisions about their plans
>>> for the revival or maintenance of their language(s). All Indigenous
>>> Languages and Arts (Languages) funding recipients, in particular language
>>> centres, will be required to use the Framework in the planning, implementation
>>> and review of their language activities. Funding recipients will also be
>>> required to use the Framework to develop a Language Plan (depending on the
> [...]

Dr Ruth Singer
DECRA Postdoctoral Fellow
Linguistics Program and Research Unit for Indigenous Language
School of Languages and Linguistics
Faculty of Arts
University of Melbourne 3010
Tel. +61 3 90353774