Linguistics in the Pub online - 24 June

Andrew Tanner andrew at livinglanguages.org.au
Wed Jun 17 06:12:55 UTC 2020

Hello all

We are pleased to announce that next week's LIP (online) session *Innovating
and Adapting to Covid-19 restrictions: Aboriginal Community Language
Programs* will be held at 4pm AEST next Wednesday, 24 June. Everybody is
welcome, and we hope you can make it. Details, including registration,
below:

Australia is a big country at the best of times, but with the recent
Covid-19 restrictions it suddenly felt much bigger: borders are uncrossable
and even travel within states has become extremely difficult – particularly
to and from remote Aboriginal communities that have had very strict
quarantine requirements. You might think this has meant that many
Aboriginal community language programs have come to a standstill, but in
fact our regional language centres and community language workers and
linguists are long used to dealing with huge distances and challenging
logistics.

Join us for this special Linguistics in the Pub online session to hear
about how efforts to revitalise, maintain and document Australian languages
have innovated and adapted to the rapidly changing circumstances
surrounding the Covid-19 pandemic.

Zooming in on the panel are: Rosie Sitorus (co-ordinator at Irra Wangga
Language Centre, Geraldton, WA), Brendan Kennedy (Chairperson, Victorian
Aboriginal Corporation for Languages), Duke Earl-Spurr (Language Officer at
Kanyinirnpa Jukurrpa on Martu Country, WA), Eleanor McCall (Project
Linguist at the Mobile Language Team, Adelaide, SA) and Sharon Edgar-Jones
(Language Worker at Muurrbay Language and Culture Co-op, NSW). Ebony
Joachim and Andrew Tanner from Living Languages will be facilitating the
discussion.

We will start with a panel discussion (around 60 minutes) and then we will
discuss the issues raised in small groups for about 30 minutes. The panel
discussion will be streamed live to YouTube and will be available to view
later.

To participate via Zoom, register with EventBrite
<https://www.eventbrite.com/o/linguistics-in-the-pub-30297536496> to
receive the Zoom meeting link 30 minutes before the event.

You can also watch the panel discussion via Youtube live on the Linguistics
in the Pub channel
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUxTkJv9eJDKO-DytBdZU3g/>

*RNLD is now Living Languages, and this is my new email address. Please
update my email in your contacts list to andrew at livinglanguages.org.au
<andrew at livinglanguages.org.au>. Thanks!*

Andrew Tanner

Trainer

ph. +61 (03) 9077 9500

www.livinglanguages.org.au

<http://www.facebook.com/Living-Languages-1048821725307557/>
<https://twitter.com/LivingLangs>
<https://www.livinglanguages.org.au/donate>

My usual work days are Monday to Thursday.

I pay my respects and acknowledgments to all Traditional Custodians on
whose land I live, work and travel through, in Australia and overseas.