[RNLD List] SPINNING A BETTER YARN: DECOLONISING LINGUISTICS STUDY GROUP (online)

Ruth Singer ruth.singer at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 02:28:55 UTC 2021

Announcement:

*SPINNING A BETTER YARN: DECOLONISING LINGUISTICS STUDY GROUP*
The Indigenous Alliance for Linguistic Research, Centre of Excellence for
the Dynamics of Language, Sydney Indigenous Research Hub and the Research
Unit for Indigenous Language, have formed a new study group called
‘Spinning a Better Yarn: Decolonising Linguistics study group’. This study
group aims to discuss topics of relevance to Indigenous communities
involved in linguistic research and linguists more broadly, around framing
a new ethical model for linguistic research based on a human rights agenda.

Each month there will be a talk, and usually also a set reading. We are
excited to be organising this study group and we welcome the opportunity to
discuss many important topics in a friendly and open manner. It is
extremely important that all discussion takes place in a safe and
respectful manner. The study group will take place on Zoom. The sessions
will run for 1.5 hours and the presentation will be followed by plenty of
time for discussion and questions.

*Second meeting: 15th September 4pm-5.30pm*
*Topic: *Roles and attributions in research outputs
Presenters: Felicity Meakins and Myf Turpin

Zoom link:
https://unimelb.zoom.us/j/81083358401?pwd=dU5xME5kVG53UElvTE9lakVCSFhWZz09
Password: 050039

In this session, we will discuss authorship and the explicit recognition of
multiple roles in research, which means all contributions to publications
are equally valued. We will also discuss copyright and intellectual
property statements to ensure future uses of knowledge are undertaken
appropriately. We will also touch on models of research supervision and
creative work + exegesis PhDs.

Set reading: Meakins, F., Green, J., & Turpin, M. (2018). Understanding
linguistic fieldwork. London: Routledge. Chs 2-3.

Download readings from the Spinning a Better Yarn webpage:
http://www.dynamicsoflanguage.edu.au/ialr/decolonising-linguistics-spinning-a-better-yarn/
The webpage also has information about future sessions, and will soon have
recordings of past sessions

For any other information please contact Ruth Singer rsinger at unimelb.edu.au
Organising committee: Jaky Troy, Lesley Woods, Felicity Meakins and Ruth
Singer

Dr Ruth Singer
ARC Future Fellow
School of Languages and Linguistics, University of Melbourne
Research Unit for Indigenous Language (RUIL):
http://indiglang.arts.unimelb.edu.au/
ARC Centre of Excellence for the Dynamics of Language (CoEDL):
http://www.dynamicsoflanguage.edu.au/

https://unimelb.academia.edu/RuthSinger
http://www.findanexpert.unimelb.edu.au/display/person2621