[RNLD List] Use of a 'heavy'/'light' distinction when characterising languages

Alan Rumsey Alan.Rumsey at anu.edu.au
Wed May 19 10:18:36 UTC 2021

I have been in conversation with Charles Zuckerman about his work in upland central Laos on the use of a 'heavy'/'light' distinction by speakers of the local languages to characterise them in relation to one another. In my fieldwork in the Kimberley region of WA I have also often heard speakers of Indigenous languages make use of a 'heavy'/'light' distinction when characterising languages/dialects. I am wondering how widespread that is across Australia and beyond. Has anyone else of you has come across it? If so, where?  Can any of you refer us to any other published discussions on this topic besides the one below? If so could you please send them in a reply to me and the cc’d addresses above?

Zuckerman, Charles H. P., and N. J. Enfield 2020.  Heavy Sound Light Sound: A Nam Noi Metalinguistic Trope. In Studies in the Anthropology of Language in Mainland Southeast Asia Pp. 85–92. JSEALS Special Publication, 6. University of Hawai’i Press.