[RNLD List] Use of a 'heavy'/'light' distinction when characterising languages

Christine Corcoran christine.corcoran at me.com
Thu May 20 06:18:30 UTC 2021

It’s not quite the same as heavy and light, but David Sapir has some work on the big and thin distinction in Jóola-Kujamaat (Diola-Fogny) spoken in Senegal. These terms refer to relative usage of the tense/lax vowel vowel harmony system. They're used to distinguish individuals and subgroups who harmonize more than others. “Big” speakers harmonize more than “thin” speakers.

Citation I have handy:
Sapir, J. David. 1975. Big and thin; two Diola-Fogny meta linguistic terms. Lang. Soc. 4: 1–15.

Chris Corcoran
pronouns: she/her/hers
christine.corcoran at icloud.com
Chicago, IL