[RNLD List] Melbourne Linguistics in the Pub Tuesday 9th November: doing fieldwork and experiments online

Julia Sallabank js72 at soas.ac.uk
Mon Oct 25 08:48:36 UTC 2021

Dear Ruth

It's a real pity that this one in particular can't be held in hybrid mode!
Any chance of recording it?

Best wishes
Julia

On Mon, 25 Oct 2021 at 01:22, Ruth Singer <rsinger at unimelb.edu.au> wrote:

> Announcement: Melbourne Linguistics in the Pub
>
> NOTE: this event will be held face to face at Naughton's hotel, Parkville
> (Melbourne, Australia)
>
> *Melbourne Linguistics in the Pub 9th November 2021: online linguistics
> research: stories from the 'field'*
>
> During the pandemic much face-to-face research on language has been halted
> and many researchers have found ways to do their research online instead.
> In this session of Linguistics in the Pub, three linguists will share their
> experiences of doing research online in the areas of sociolinguistics,
> language planning, forensic linguistics, phonetics and psycholinguistics.
>

> *Dr Chloé Diskin-Holdaway, Senior Lecturer in Applied Linguistics, the
> University of Melbourne*
>
> Chloé will talk about her experiences in collecting data online during the
> COVID-19 pandemic. She will report on two projects: the first consisted of
> two large-scale, nationwide surveys of language maintenance and
> bilingualism, and language attitudes and identity. The second, *Bear in a
> Window*, was an online experiment for children aged 3-12 to share stories
> and experiences about life in lockdown. The first project is outlined in
> the following Conversation article:
> https://theconversation.com/dont-be-afraid-to-pass-your-first-language-and-accent-to-your-kids-it-could-be-their-superpower-143093.
> The second project is still running, with information available at
> http://www.bearinawindow.org/
>
> *Dr Debbie Loakes  Research Fellow, Research Hub for Language in Forensic
> Evidence Postdoctoral Researcher, ARC Centre of Excellence for the Dynamics
> of Language (CoEDL), The University of Melbourne *
>
> Debbie will talk about online data collection for some projects that
> involve listener reactions to speech. One set of projects discussed are
> within the Research Hub for Language in Forensic Evidence, analysing a) how
> people react to indistinct forensic audio, and also how they can be primed
> (falsely), and b) how well people transcribe indistinct forensic-like
> audio. Data is collected via the Qualtrics platform which offers various
> benefits to researchers doing remote data collection. Another project with
> COEDL is a collaboration with psychology colleagues at Western Sydney
> University, also looking at perceptual priming. Data collection was
> originally planned to go ahead with an eye-tracking device, but when CoVID
> hit this was changed so that (fairly) comparable data could be collected
> via Zoom. This is a different scenario from Qualtrics because the
> researcher needs to be present for all data collection sessions, and has
> far more interaction with the participant. For this particular kind of
> experiment, researcher presence is beneficial but extremely time-consuming.  You
> can read about some of Debbie’s work with the Research Hub here via the
> blog here: https://blogs.unimelb.edu.au/language-forensics/#tab59 which
> [...]

Julia Sallabank
Professor of Language Policy and Revitalisation,
School of Languages, Cultures and Linguistics
SOAS, University of London,
London WC1H 0XG, UK

Tel. +44 (0)20 7898 4326
ORCID ID: 0000-0002-8662-6228 <http://orcid.org/0000-0002-8662-6228>

*Office hours in Term 1:*

Tuesdays  2-3pm: Online office hours. Zoom link
https://soas-ac-uk.zoom.us/j/93480642994?pwd=T0Z1OHFsejhLcjlEUndQTXEvdDc3dz09

Fridays 11 am - 1pm: Face to face office hours, 428b. All f2f visitors must
be double vaccinated and wear a face covering properly.

Thursdays are my dedicated research day, so I will not be dealing with
admin- or teaching-related issues then.

NB these times will change in term 2 along with the timetable.

Watch the recording of my British Academy Webinar, 15 July 2021:
<https://www.thebritishacademy.ac.uk/events/why-history-revitalising-endangered-languages/>
https://youtu.be/BJWmWP4gofw

*New Open Access book out now!*
*Revitalizing Endangered Languages: A Practical Guide *
Edited by Justyna Olko, Uniwersytet Warszawski, Poland, and Julia Sallabank
Full Open Access paid for by EU Horizon 2020 project Engaged Humanities.
https://www.cambridge.org/gb/academic/subjects/languages-linguistics/research-methods-linguistics/revitalizing-endangered-languages-practical-guide?format=HB
Available free online as Gold Open Access:
https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/revitalizing-endangered-languages/ADCBBA31190F259BA13525C769E92A9A

*Now out in paperback!*
*Attitudes to Endangered Languages: Identities and Policies*
https://www.cambridge.org/gb/academic/subjects/languages-linguistics/sociolinguistics/attitudes-endangered-languages-identities-and-policies?format=PB