[RNLD List] documentary

Shawn Bedell tijax5 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 16:36:43 UTC 2022

Thank you! Very informative. Have always loved that region of the world,
and I particularly loved Catalunya.

As per the talking to foreigners bit, I do find it interesting. Having
learned a few languages with few speakers or that are not the majority
language, by far, in a particular place, I have often been met with people
who think learning their own language is a silly idea, or they might even
take a while to come around to the idea of not speaking the dominant
language to a foreigner. In Catalunya, I found quite the opposite. I speak
Spanish quite well, but I do not have anything near the accent of a
Spaniard, so no matter how hard I could (haven't, but... haha) try, I am
obviously not from anywhere on the Iberian Peninsula. Nevertheless, I have
been asked many times. to speak Catala, even though I wouldn't be able to
really piece it all together to make anything intelligible in terms of
speaking actual Catala, but as you noted, it was relatively easy to
understand what people were saying. So, it seems like there is a contingent
of people who feel confident enough to assume that obvious outsiders will
use their language, whereas the opposite is often the case in many places
across the world.

Anyway, the question was mostly about how (what I perceive, at least) a
strong linguistic community might play into or influence people speaking a
related dialect nearby (and in this case, across a national border).

Anyway, I look forward to watching to movie and sharing it with friends and
colleagues (many of whom also know and love the region).