[RNLD List] Acquisition Sketch Project

Rebecca Defina rebecca.defina at unimelb.edu.au
Wed May 17 01:57:36 UTC 2023

Dear Colleagues,

In case it is of interest to you:

We are delighted to announce the launch of The Acquisition Sketch Project, an initiative that aims at increasing knowledge about the acquisition of understudied languages. Published as a Special Publication in the Open Access journal Language Documentation and Conservation (https://nflrc.hawaii.edu/ldc/sp28-the-acquisition-sketch-project/), we present a model of how researchers can write an “Acquisition Sketch” of a language based on as little as 5 hours of naturalistic data. The model combines insights from Child Language Acquisition and Language Documentation, providing a detailed description of how to collect data and write a sketch.

The Special Publication is a ‘living issue’, and so more sketches will appear in it in the coming weeks and years. We encourage anyone who is interested in following the sketch format to submit their work to the project. To facilitate this process, we will be doing the following:

  *   Bi-monthly online meetings that serve to guide researchers through the process of writing a sketch.

  *   A pre-conference workshop at the International Association for the Study of Child Language conference in Prague, July 2024.

If you are interested in writing a sketch and being involved in our online meetings, we would love to hear from you. Our first online meeting will be on May 17 @ 5pm AEST/9am CET. The next meeting will be on July 19th, same time and place.

Zoom meeting details:

https://anu.zoom.us/j/2877566214?pwd=dW5xTVhkUUM3ekpjS1FYcHkrbEwzUT09

Meeting ID: 287 756 6214

Password: 412080

For more details, please contact one of the team members:

· Shanley Allen (allen at rptu.de)

· Lucy Davidson (lucinda.davidson at unimelb.edu.au)

· Rebecca Defina (rebecca.defina at unimelb.edu.au)

· Birgit Hellwig (bhellwig at uni-koeln.de)

· Evan Kidd (evan.kidd at anu.edu.au)

---
Dr Rebecca Defina
Research Unit for Indigenous Language
ARC Centre of Excellence for the Dynamics of Language
School of Languages and Linguistics
and
Complex Human Data Hub
Melbourne School of Psychological Sciences
University of Melbourne
VIC 3010, Australia

I acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the unceded land where I live and work, the Wurundjeri people of the Kulin Nations, and pay my respects to the Elders, past and present.