[RNLD List] Fwd: Survey about making new words

Claire Bowern clairebowern at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 19:46:22 UTC 2024

Hi everyone,
I'm involved in a survey of ways that Indigenous language speakers and
signers make new words. We are particularly interested in finding out what
types of words catch on, and we will share our findings widely. The origin
this of this project was thinking about word strategies and realising that
we knew a lot about how words are formed, but not about what words are
actually used when they're created (and we knew of plenty of stories of new
words that no one used, or words that were introduced and then rapidly
changed). Our focus with the project is on neologism formation (strategies,
ideologies, staying power of neologisms, etc.) in Indigenous and endangered
languages—if you know anyone that speaks, is learning, teaches, works on,
etc. such a language, we would love your help recruiting participants. It's
available in English and Spanish, and the blurb below provides a brief
overview.
Best wishes,
Claire

------------------------------

[eng]
Hello! If you are a speaker or signer, learner, or teacher of an Indigenous
or endangered language (or a linguist that works on an Indigenous or
endangered language), we would love for you to participate in our survey.
We are compiling data on how speakers/signers go about forming new words in
Indigenous/endangered languages, and we are hoping to collect responses
from as wide a range of languages as possible. If you have 10 to 20 minutes
to spare, your input would be greatly appreciated!

The survey is available in English and Spanish, and respondents can choose
to be entered into a raffle to win one of three $20 Amazon gift cards.
Participants must be at least 18 years old. You can find the survey here:
https://yaleas.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_8wFoY6owxPpOSzA

[spa]
¡Hola! Si hablas, estás aprendiendo, o eres maestro/a de una lengua
indígena o amenazada (o si eres un/a lingüista que trabaja con una lengua
indígena o amenazada), tenemos una encuesta para ti. Queremos aprender más
sobre como hablantes/señantes de lenguas indígenas o amenazadas construyen
nuevas palabras en sus lenguas, y esperamos recolectar respuestas desde una
amplia gama de lenguas. Si puedes pasar 10 a 20 minutos ayudándonos con
esto, ¡lo apreciaríamos muchísimo!

La encuesta está disponible en español y inglés, y los participantes serán
elegibles a ganar uno de tres bonos de Amazon por valor de $20 (USD). Debes
tener al menos 18 años para participar. Puedes encontrar la encuesta acá:
https://yaleas.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_8wFoY6owxPpOSzA