antithesis or contrast

Juliano Desiderato Antonio jdantonio at UEM.BR
Mon Mar 4 19:17:30 UTC 2002

I'm in doubt about the most appropriate relation for situations like the
example below from a Brazilian Portuguese oral narrative. First I thought
that the antithesis relation could apply here between text spans 1-2 and 3-
4, because there's some positive regard for one of the situations. However,
as the text type is a monologue narrative and the speaker is involved with
the subject matter, I thought that the contrast situation would be better.
What do you think? The corpus I'm studying is formed by 60 narratives and
examples like these are in all of them.

1 ele encontra uma moça, [he meets a girl]
2 .. e se apaixona por ela, [and he falls in love with her]
3 ... só que o pai dela é muito ruim, [but her father is bery mean]
4 e não quer de jeito nenhum o namoro deles. [and he doesn't want them to
date]

Thanks,

Juliano