Definitions of Conjunction and Disjunction

Andy Potter anpotter at HIWAAY.NET
Tue Sep 12 01:54:32 UTC 2006

Chris,

I have not seen definitions of these relations, but I have felt the need for them.  I would be interested in what others think, but in the meantime I propose the following :

Relation Name
 Conjunction

Constraints on Nucleus
 Multi-nuclear

Constraints on Combination of Nuclei
 Writer claims that all of the nuclei are true

The Effect
 Reader recognizes that the writer claims that all of the nuclei are true

Locus of Effect
 Multiple Nuclei

Example
 He had the means, he had the motive, and he had the opportunity.

Relation Name
 Disjunction

Constraints on Nucleus
 Multi-nuclear

Constraints on Combination of Nuclei
 Writer claims that at least one of the nuclei are true

The Effect
 Reader recognizes that the writer claims at least one of the nuclei are true

Locus of Effect
 Multiple Nuclei

Example
 Either he was not at home, or he went to bed early.