[Rstlist] (no subject)

Potter, Andrew Nelson apotter1 at una.edu
Wed Sep 6 03:05:24 UTC 2017

And another I have found helpful:

Taboada, M. T., & Mann, W. C. (2006). Rhetorical structure theory: Looking back and moving ahead. Discourse Studies, 8(3), 423-459.

On September 5, 2017 at 7:49:56 PM, Potter, Andrew Nelson (apotter1 at una.edu<mailto:apotter1 at una.edu>) wrote:
David,
Opinions will no doubt vary.  My favorite reads continue to be:

Mann, W. C., & Thompson, S. A. (1988). Rhetorical structure theory: Towards a functional theory of text organization. Text, 8(3), 243-281.

Mann, W. C., Matthiessen, C. M. I. M., & Thompson, S. A. (1992). Rhetorical structure theory and text analysis. In W. C. Mann & S. A. Thompson (Eds.), Discourse description: Diverse linguistic analyses of a fund-raising text (pp. 39-78). Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
And this Report is sometimes treated as authoratative.

Mann, W. C., & Thompson, S. A. (1987). Rhetorical structure theory: A theory of text organization (ISI/RS-87-190). Retrieved from Marina del Rey, CA
Also, going beyond Mann and Thompson, Marcu’s work is of interest:

Marcu, D. (2000). The theory and practice of discourse parsing and summarization. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.

Carlson, L., Marcu, D., & Okurowski, M. E. (2003). Building a discourse-tagged corpus in the framework of rhetorical structure theory. In J. v. Kuppevelt & R. Smith (Eds.), Current Directions in Discourse and Dialogue. Berlin: Springer.

Regards,
  Andrew

--
Andrew Potter, PhD