Translation help, please

Elena Levintova elenalev at ix.netcom.com
Fri Dec 4 20:44:27 UTC 1998

"Patrul'no Postovaya Sluzhba" is a concept of Russian police life which is
somewhat different from American police life. Patrul'nya sluzhba implies
patrolling city streets or other public places, sometimes in cars, but very
often just walking. In the US now they always patrol streets in police cars;
however, in NYC, I was told, they used to patrol the streets on foot, and it was
called "walking a beat." Postovaya sluzhba means being a security guard, point
duty, and also may refer to regulating traffic.
The rank of "starshina" is usually translated as sergeant-major or master
sergeant.
Hope this helps.