Interviewing at AATSEEL '98

Sibelan Forrester sforres1 at swarthmore.edu
Sun Dec 6 16:17:49 UTC 1998

Elena Levintova wrote:

>I wonder where I could find information about the AWSS Interviewing Workshop
>scheduled for Sunday at the conference?
>Thanks.

Dear Elena,

Thank you for offering me the chance to post information about the AWSS
Interviewing Workshop.

It is scheduled for the evening before the conference proper begins, and
anyone interested is encouraged to attend -- there's no charge, and no need
to register for the workshop separately from your registration for the
AATSEEL conference itself.  Also, if you are not currently looking for a
job, or advertising one, but just want to hear more about the market today,
how to put together a nice-looking dossier, etc., please drop by.  The
audience participation is one of the most valuable parts of the event.
We'll try to post signs with the room numberin prominent or logical places
around the hotel.

The workshop will follow the structure Diane Nemec-Ignashev introduced when
she organized the first of these AWSS-sponsored workshops a few years back:
first several Slavists will speak about particular aspects of the job
search (we hope, from the point of view of the hiring institution as well
as of the job candidate), then after a short break we'll have a "mock
interview" for about 20 minutes, followed by comments and an invitation to
the audience to offer critique and questions.

If anyone is interested in taking part in this event (presenting
information on last year's successful search strategies, or playing a part
in the mock interview), please drop a line to me at
<sforres1 at swarthmore.edu> (that's a numeric "1" ("one"), not a lower-case
letter "l") or to Jonathan Ludwig, co-coordinator, at
<ludwig1 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>.  We would especially welcome contributions from
Slavists who have found jobs in the last year or two (since our own status
as newly-hired Slavists is a wee bit outdated).  Presentations can be
fairly informal, and it's a nice way to get a line in the "service" part of
your cv.  Suggestions for topics or activities and/or comments on past
workshops are also welcome.

Sincerely,

Sibelan Forrester
AWSS Vice President