Russian Computer Language in Action!

Benjamin Sher sher07 at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 16 06:21:16 UTC 1998

Dear Colleagues:

PROBLEM: TRANSLATING COMPUTERESE FROM ENGLISH TO
RUSSIAN AND VICE-VERSA.

I often receive or see messages by Slavicists, Anglo-American or
Russian, wanting to know the precise translation of certain computer
terms. How do you say "to download" in Russian? What's the
Russian word for "Web site" or for "cache". Etc. Obviously, even the
best bilingual computer dictionary is woefully inadequate because
even if it gives you the right equivalent, it can not show you the
word in its full context.

SOLUTION: SEE COMPUTERESE IN ACTION.

For those of you who may not have heard the good news, here it is:
there are at least three major Russian software sites (including
commercial, shareware and freeware programs, newsletters,
discussions) that provide FULL DESCRIPTIONS of computer
programs, etc., including the most current ones, plus general and
technical information ENTIRELY IN RUSSIAN. These three sites,
plus the special Russian edition of Intel's site, alone provide a
cornucopia of information, news, terminology, all in Russian
computerese. I have listed these four sites in my Index (see
address below in my signature) under the following special
headings:

Software -- in Russian -- FreeSoft
Software -- in Russian -- Freeware.ru
Software -- in Russian -- Intel (select "Russia" under "Countries")
Software -- in Russian -- ZDNET/RUSSIA

You can easily compare the Russian descriptions with their English
equivalents on such sites as ZDNet (http://www.zdnet.com),
PCMagazine (http://www.pcmagazine.com), Tucows
(http://www.tucows.com), Stroud (http://www.stroud.com) and
numerous others. Actually, if you are at all familiar with computer
talk and computer products, you will likely not need a translation
from Russian at all. You will be easily able to figure out just what
the descriptions or discussions are about.

Take my word for it. If learning Russian "computerese" is your bag,
you'll find these sites a GOLD MINE.

Yours,

Benjamin

Benjamin Sher