Why students do not study Russian anymore

Marta Sherwood-Pike msherw at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Tue Jun 6 05:37:24 UTC 2000

        Generally the difficulty of language acquisition after childhood
is related to how closely it is related linguistically to your own.
Speaking English, Spanish, and German when I entered college, I readily
learned to read French, Dutch, and Italian for research purposes, though I
had the frustrating experience in Paris of being able to more or less
understand what Frenchmen were saying to me, while being utterly unable to
communicate with them. Non-Roman character sets such as cyrillic present a
problem with reading and writing - my daughter is currently struggling
with Thai, and of course Japanese Kanji represent a particularly difficult
case. Really natural speaking in a foreign language also involves
acculturalization. There are grammatical concepts in Indonesian which it
is very difficult for a westerner to conceptualize. Language reflects
one's view of the world, and one's view of the world is reflected in
language. A translator of poetry must consider this; a translator of
business correspondence need not, for the culture is uniform.
-Martha Sherwood-